Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Rent The Runway


First Netflix, Then BagBorrowOrSteal, and Now RentTheRunway...

We live in a time where affordable is the name of the game and disposable is how the garments are.
In hindsight, that makes Rent the Runway a great business model with the best adaptation to survive in this economic platform.
Rent the Runway offers designer dresses for as low as $50 dollars and up to $200.
So here is the perfect situation...
I have a wedding/Christmas party/ to go to and nothing to wear...$50 dollars later you can have a dress delivered for the duration of 4 nights, and when you are all done you can place the dress in its prepaid envelope and drop it in the mail. Dry cleaning is included in the price, however damage insurance is another 5 dollars.

In all truth, it works for me. I usually only want to wear a dress once. If it looks fab, everyone will remember it and if it didn't, then I don't ever want to wear it again. Either way... I want the newness of a different dress on a new event, especially, if all it will cost is $50 or $100 dollars. I think $200 dollars is bit too much (for my personal budget).

The downfall for Rent the Runway makes the service available through invitation only.

Luckily my friend just invited me and in turn I was able to send 5 invitations to my friends...not bad..not bad at all.

Now all I need as an invent to go to...
The Rent the Runway ladies busy at work.
Jennifer Hyman, left, and Jennifer Carter Fleiss at Rent the Runway headquarters.

Enid P. "Dare to Dream"
Note: Pictures provided by Todd Heisler/NY Times

No comments: