Thursday, January 14, 2010

Irina from Project Runway

The spread on Marie Claire's for Irina from Project Runway is finally here on the Feb 2010 issue.
Q: What took so long? because not for nothing, but we already saw these designs months ago.

"So many women are afraid of the bitch word, but you've got to go for what you want. It's not going to be handed to you."

ON HEMPHILL: Shoes, $890, Barbara Bui; dress & hat, Irina Shabayeva.

ON SHABAYEVA: Top, $96, Kain; leggings, $265, Helmut Lang; shoes, $1095, Barbara Bui; scarf, Irina Shabayeva.


"I research everything on YouTube, like how to crochet a flower or knit a certain stitch. For my collection, I YouTube'd how to make hand-blocked felt hats, then made each one." -Irina

Shoes, $900, Krisvanassche; wrap, top, pants, hat & handbag, Irina Shabayeva.

"I wanted to send a message that it's OK to be a woman and be fragile, but it's also OK to have a layer of armor, because you need it." -Irina
"I wore this mask for Halloween. I like mystery and anonymity. It's the only way people won't be prejudiced when meeting you." -Irina
"I always want things to look luxe, so my biggest challenge was stretching the $9000 we'd been given to make it seem like I'd spent $20,000." -Irina

"I'm a big collector of interesting random items." -Irina
"I am fascinated with flight! Planes, birds, butterflies — I love the freedom that they symbolize." -Irina




"The workroom was always tense, but then Kalyn would come in all smiles, and I was like, 'I want to live in your world!' She gave me a sense of relief and hope." -Irina

ON HEMPHILL: Top, skirt & boots, Irina Shabayeva. ON SHABAYEVA: Top, $96, Kain; leggings, $265, Helmut Lang; necklace, $175, 3.1 Phillip Lim; bracelet, $48, Hayden-Harnett; ring, Shabayeva's own.

Enjoy the New Project Runway Season today, Jan 14th, 2010 because this is fashion and in the fashion world we are always ready for what's next.
photo credit: Perry Hagopian

Enid P. "Dare to Dream"

1 comment:

The Company Man said...

the judges ruined this season...some talented designers were kicked off early. irina was the last one standing. and her roses smelled like poo poo.